Multiple outlets report that allies of Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham want Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer to agree to a handover of power in September. The claims come amid ongoing political speculation about Starmer’s position, including references to resignation rumours and the possibility of an early challenge.
The reports tie the conversation to recent developments in the Makerfield area and a by-election outcome that some sources describe as strengthening Burnham’s position and raising his profile as a potential challenger. One outlet says senior sources describe Burnham as committed to an “orderly” transition, framing it as a September handover rather than an abrupt change.
The Manchester Evening News also says Starmer has not yet spoken to the newly elected Makerfield MP. The Evening Standard adds that Starmer makes clear he will resist any move that challenges his position earlier on Friday.
Across the coverage, the central point is that Burnham allies are calling for a September transfer of power, while Starmer’s stance is that he will contest any challenge to his leadership.