The head of the UN nuclear watchdog says inspectors have found several tonnes of nuclear material at a previously undeclared site in Syria. IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi says the material could be misused and is now placed under international oversight, with accounting and safeguards.

Syria reported the site to the IAEA in a letter sent on July 17, according to Syria’s Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani. Syrian officials say technical assessments indicate the material does not pose a risk. They add the material remains in Syrian custody while experts work with the IAEA on safe storage under safeguards. Grossi also visits a site in Deir Ezzor that has been closed for decades.

Across outlets, the central points are consistent: the IAEA finds multiple tonnes of material at an undeclared Syrian location, and Syria has informed the agency and allows safeguards. Where accounts differ is in emphasis and related background—some coverage highlights Syria’s “courageous decision” to report, while others focus on the historical context of the Deir Ezzor reactor investigation and earlier suspicions about a prior Syrian nuclear program.