The United States denies Iran’s claim that the Strait of Hormuz has been closed and says the waterway remains open for navigation. In a statement to Reuters, U.S. Central Command spokesperson Navy Captain Tim Hawkins says “Iran does not control the Strait of Hormuz,” adding that maritime traffic continues to flow and that U.S. forces are monitoring the situation to ensure it remains that way.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps previously declared the strait shut and warned ships not to approach, which has raised concerns about regional stability and the outlook for a ceasefire and related U.S.-Iran diplomacy. Reporting also indicates that U.S. monitoring is associated with continued commercial transits: Kyiv Post cites CENTCOM reporting that dozens of commercial vessels cross the strait on June 20.

Meanwhile, other coverage highlights the broader uncertainty created by the competing messages from Washington and Tehran, with potential implications for shipping and global oil markets.